It is the perfect soup for a cold winter day. It will fill you up, it’s full of amazing flavors! Kids will love it too!
This soup is fantastic! Simply delicious and so healthy too! I love barley soup and the kids love it too. I like to make lots of it and freeze it. It’s always great to have soup in the freezer for when someone gets sick.
It can also be made in the crock pot or slow cooker. After browning the beef, add all the ingredients to the slow cooker. Cook over low heat for 4 to 6 hours or until the carrots are cooked.
Servings 10 servings
Cooking time 40 minutes
* 1 pound boneless pallet roast, trimmed and cut into half-inch pieces
* 1 1/2 cups of carrots cut into thin strips
* 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced celery
* 2/3 cup chopped onion
* 1 package of pre-sliced 8-ounce mushrooms
* 2 tablespoons of beef base (it’s different from beef broth; it’s a base to make beef stock)
* 8-10 cups of water
* 1 large bay leaf
1. Brown beef in a nonstick skillet, stirring frequently.
2. Remove beef from skillet and place in slow cooker. Add carrot, celery, onion and mushrooms, beef base, water, garlic and bay leaf.
3. Cook over high heat for one hour, add the pearl barley, then reduce heat to low and cook until vegetables and beef are soft. Stir in the salt and pepper.
4. Discard the bay leaf.
How much pearl barly is needed?
How much pearl barley is needed for 10 servings?
The barley has no measurement, I went according to the package and added 1 cup. It soaked up all the broth, so I added more water and spices. Also, it took 45 minutes for the barley to cook, so my veggies were overdone.we had to order pizza tonight. Next time I will add the barley and cook for 30 minutes before adding the veggies.
there is also no measurement for garlic. i left it out. i think you need to go back over your recipes and fix them TTT