How about a glorious vintage breakfast casserole packed with delicious Velveeta cheese? It provides a protein punch with the addition of bacon, sausage and eggs. Get ready for this nutritious breakfast!
Serves 12 | Prep. time 10–15 minutes | Cooking time 60 minutes
1 quart milk
8 slices bread,
crust removed and cut into bite-size pieces
⅔ pound Velveeta, sliced Pinch salt
2 cups grated cheese (mild cheddar or your choice)
6–8 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
¼ teaspoon dry mustard
1 (10-ounce) package of pork breakfast sausage,
cooked and drained over paper towels
- Place the bread pieces on the bottom of a greased 9×11-inch baking pan.
- Add the sliced Velveeta over the bread. Top with the grated cheese.
- Add the milk, salt, eggs and dry mustard to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Pour this mixture over the ingredients in the pan.
- Cover the pan and refrigerate overnight.
- Place the cooked, cooled sausage and bacon in a bag and refrigerate this overnight as well. (You can substitute chopped ham if you like.) In the morning,
- preheat the oven to 325°F. Uncover the pan and sprinkle the sausage and bacon over the casserole.
- Press them into the casserole until they’re mostly covered.
- Bake uncovered for 1–1½ hours or until the eggs set. Serve with hash browns if desired.