Oh my Goodness, Buttery, Moist Melt In Your Mouth Delicious Cornbread 😋😋😋!!! This familly favorite is great alone or with a bowl of beans on the side.
Fill your kitchen with the aroma of homemade cornbread! My family has been making this easy cornbread recipe for decades. The crisp golden crust and moist, fluffy center really can’t be beat. If you have some cornmeal sitting in your pantry, cornbread is comfort food just waiting to happen.
If you’re wondering how to make cornbread, this simple cornbread recipe is what you’ve been looking for. It makes buttery, perfect cornbread – every time. Plus, it only takes 25 minutes from start to finish! You can make it in a skillet or any baking dish, too.
classic sweet easy buttermilk cornbread with a hint of honey is the perfect side to chili’s, soups or stews! with crispy, crunchy buttery edges and the most amazing soft, fluffy centre!
TO MAKE THIS RECIPE YOIU’LL NEED THE FOLLOWING INGREDIENTS :
– Cornmeal: 1 cup (120g)
– All-purpose flour: 1 cup (125g) (spoon & leveled)
– Baking powder: 1 teaspoon
– Baking soda: 1/2 teaspoon
– Salt: 1/8 teaspoon
– Unsalted butter: 1/2 cup (115g) (melted and slightly cooled)
– Light or dark brown sugar: 1/3 cup (67g) (packed)
– Honey: 2 Tablespoons (30ml)
– Egg: 1 (large) at room temperature
– Buttermilk: 1 cup (240ml) at room temperature
HOW TO MAKE IT :
1. First of all, set the temperature of the oven to 400°F (204°C) and grease and lightly flour an 8 or 9-inch square baking pan; set aside.
2. Pick a large bowl and whisk in together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside. Then whisk the melted butter, brown sugar, and honey in a medium bowl, until completely smooth and thick. Immediately, whisk in the egg until combined. Once done, whisk in the buttermilk. You’ll want to pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, whisking until combined (no need to over-mixing).
3. And please pour batter into prepared baking pan, baking until golden brown on top and the center is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Test using a toothpick. That’s right, edges should be crispy. Make sure to let to slightly cool before slicing and serving. At this point, you may serve cornbread with butter, honey, jam, or whatever you like.
4. Finally, wrap leftovers up tightly and store at room temperature for up to 1 week.
#RECIPE NOTES :
*Freezing Instructions: I always freeze baked cornbread for up to 3 months for longer storage. Make sure to allow to thaw overnight in the refrigerator and heat up in the microwave or bake in a 300°F (149°C) oven around 10 minutes.
*Buttermilk: Buttermilk is an essential ingredietnt for this recipe, but you can make a DIY sour milk if you don’t have any. Simply add 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice or white vinegar to a liquid measuring cup. After that, you’ll want to add enough whole milk to make 1 cup total. And please stir and allow to sit for 5 minutes before using. For moistest, richest texture, whole milk is strongly recommended, but you can use lower fat or nondairy milk in a pinch.
*Optional add-ins: 1-2 chopped jalapeño peppers, 1 cup blueberries, 1 cup total dried cranberries and walnuts, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, or 1/2 cup bacon crumbles
*Skillet Cornbread: If you want to gives it an even heartier, crunchy crust, bake cornbread in a skillet. The trick is to bake this cornbread in a 9-inch or 10-inch oven safe greased skillet at the same temperature for the same amount of time.