Instead of one large quiche, I pour the mixture into the bottoms of a greased muffin pan, a little less than half full. It makes bite sized portions that are perfect for a party. My friends always ask me for “my recipe”! Easy and delicious. Oh, I use whatever shredded cheese is on sale at the store.
I HAVE BEEN MAKING THIS ( VERY SIMILIAR ) FOR YEARS . I USE A 10 OZ. PACKAGE FROZEN SPIANCH (DEFROSTED ), 4 EGGS , 2 1/2 CUPS MIXTURE OF ANY TYPE OF CHEESES ( I LIKE SWISS WITH PARMESAN OR MOZZAELLA WITH RICOTTA ) , ANYTHING WORKS . I THROW IN CHOPPED SCALLIONS , A TOUCH OF NUTMEG AND GARLIC SALT . I ALSO TOP WITH BOTTLED MUSHROOM SLICES , GREEN OLIVES , TOMATO SLICES OR WHATEVER I HAVE ON HAND . BAKE AT 375 ,IN A 9 ” PIE PAN , FOR 30 MINUTES , OR UNTIL THE EDGE STARS TO BROWN AND THE CENTER NO LONGER BUBBLES ( WITH MOISTURE ) . WHEN ENTERTAINING , I DOUBLE THE RECIPE AND BAKE IN A 9″ X 13″ GLASS BAKING DISH , CUT INTO SMALL SQUARES AND SERVED AT ROOM TEMPERATURE. IT IS ALWAYS IS A HIT .
Yummy! I didn’t use muenster cheese. Instead, to make this lower fat, I used 3 eggs, 1/2 cup light sharp cheddar, 1 cup fat free cottage cheese, and a 1/4 cup light parmesan cheese. I added a few sliced mushrooms and green onion in the saute. Although not as rich, still tasty and forgiving recipe.
2 prepared pie crusts
8 ounces cooked, smoked ham, sliced in thin strips about 2 inches in length
1 red bell pepper, core and seeds removed, sliced thin about 2 inches in length
1 teaspoon olive or vegetable oil
1 15 ounce container ricotta cheese
2 large eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon crushed garlic
8 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and dried thoroughly
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
2 teaspoons dried basil
1 egg, beaten for top of crust
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Lightly grease a 9-inch springform pan.
3. Press one pie crust into the bottom and up sides of prepared pan.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together the ricotta cheese, eggs, and garlic.
5. Evenly spread mixture over the bottom crust.
6. Evenly spread the spinach over the ricotta layer.
7. In a large fry pan, heat the oil. Add the ham and peppers.
8. Heat through, stirring until peppers are tender.
9. Remove from heat. Evenly distribute over spinach.
10. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese evenly over meat layer.
11. Top with remaining pie crust. Roll and crimp edges to seal.
12. With a sharp knife, cut four 1-inch slits in top of crust.
13. Brush top evenly with remaining beaten egg.
14. Place on a foil lined baking sheet.
15. Bake on middle rack of oven for 50 minutes, or until top of crust is golden brown.
16. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes on wire rack.
17. Carefully remove sides of springform pan.
18. Continue to cool on rack until set, approx. 20 minutes.
19. Serve warm.